Enjoying the popular appetizer of P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps does not require a trip to the restaurant chain, as the dish can be recreated at home using this P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps recipe. P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps feature a base of lettuce that surrounds a flavorful topping made from chicken, mushrooms, onions and other vegetables. Throw in the special sauce and the P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps recipe is complete!
To make the P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps recipe, you will need:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 16 small or 5 large lettuce leaves
- Create the sauce by dissolving the sugar in the water in a small bowl using a wire whisk. Stir in two tablespoons rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, lemon juice, red chili paste, spicy mustard, two tablespoons soy sauce and sesame oil. Refrigerate while preparing the other ingredients.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large deep skillet or wok. Stir in the chicken pieces and saute until tender, about five minutes. Stir in the chopped water chestnuts, mushrooms and onions.
- Combine the remaining soy sauce, brown sugar, remaining rice wine vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the pan. Toss well to coat.
- Place the lettuce leaves on a serving plate. Top each with a bit of the chicken mixture. Drizzle the prepared sauce over each lettuce wrap. Serve.
P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps recipe tips:
- Trade the chicken for tofu for vegetarian P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps.
- Use ground chicken for a different texture for the filling.
- Serve the lettuce on the side to allow diners to prepare their own wraps.