The pistol is an invention that has been around for many centuries, dating back to when wars were being fought all over Europe and new weapons would give one side the advantage on the battlefield. During a battle in 1364 during the reign of Edward the Third, the hand cannon first appeared, which was one of the earliest recorded forms of the pistol in gun history. Over the centuries there were a number of other variations of the pistol as it evolved through from army to army and battle to battle. However, the history of the pistol can be seen below, as it became a more common gun in fighting, hunting and security.
- 1700 The entire British army, considered one of the most powerful in the world, were equipped with single shot flintlock pistols. These were also known as dueling pistols since you got one shot before you had to reload. This was the first time pistols were a common weapon for every soldier.
- 1730 A large lock box type of pistol made its appearance in battle. This pistol was a different in design from the flintlock pistols, as they were more powerful and accurate from farther away. However, they still only fired one shot at a time.
- 1750 The general public begins carrying pistols for dueling purposes. This is the beginning of the end for people dueling with swords and created a more powerful weapon for the everyday person to carry around with them.
- 1806 Napoleon's gunmaker built a double barrel configuration of the pistol for top soldiers and generals to use on the battlefield. This was known as the double barrel flintlock pistol and had a definitive advantage over the single barrel pistols which were used in the past. Two bullets that could either be fired one at a time or at the same time. This made the pistol much more efficient in battle and individual confrontations.
- 1835 The patent was issued to Colt for his revolver and he began to manufacture this unique pistol which could fire multiple shots in a row with a rotating system of bullets in the middle of the pistol. He sold 60,000 pistols per year.
- 1871 The four-shot Colt pistol is introduced to the public and became popular in the American West. They are one of the most effective pistols that can be bought. This makes the pistol one of the primary weapons in the world. Soon, a six-shot revolver model is introduced, making an even more efficient pistol widely available.