Plaquenil side effects are generally mild, but may be serious in certain individuals. Plaquenil is a drug used for the treatment of serious malaria attacks and different types of lupus. It may also help ease the pain of rheumatoid arthritis in many people. Plaquenil can cause a variety of side effects, including those listed below. In rare cases, people taking this medication can suffer from allergic reactions.
- Dizziness. Plaquenil has been known to cause mild dizziness as a side effect in many patients. This is not considered a serious side effect, however, if dizziness turns into confusion, disorientation, or extreme drowsiness consult a doctor right away, as this may indicate an unusual reaction to the drug.
- Nausea. As with many other medications, people taking Plaquenil may experience nausea after using it. Sometimes this is a result of the patient simply not being used to the drug, or a strong sensitivity to medications. Nausea is generally considered a common side effect that should disappear with time.
- Diarrhea. Plaquenil may also cause diarrhea and watery stools in patients. Again, this is considered a common side effect, but it's important to stay hydrated when suffering from diarrhea. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration or further damage.
- Loss of appetite. A sudden loss of appetite may be seen with patients taking Plaquenil, most often due to nausea or stomach upset. If nausea and loss of appetite does not seem to improve with time, consult a doctor when possible.
- Headache. Many medications are known for causing headaches, no matter how mild or safe they are. Plaquenil can cause headache in certain individuals who begin taking it.
- Abdominal cramps. Cramps in the abdomen are often accompanied by diarrhea or nausea. Plaquenil can cause both of these side effects, so stomach cramps are also a common side effect. Cramps are usually not serious, but if cramps persist or intensify, seek medical care as soon as possible.
- Allergic reaction. Although it is rare, certain individuals taking Plaquenil can experience an allergic reaction. Signs of a reaction usually include but are not limited to itching, rashes, trouble breathing, confusion, vomiting, chest pain, facial swelling, fever, sore throat, mood changes, weight loss, and jaundice. Seek immediate medical attention as soon as you notice any signs of an allergic reaction.