Play Field Hockey
People must know how to play field hockey before attempting a real game because it goes at a very fast pace. Learning to play it combines knowing the game’s rules with becoming adept at controlling the ball with the stick. These are some helpful instructions on how to play the game of field hockey.
Things you will need to play field hockey:
- Two teams of eleven players each need to be formed in order to play field hockey. They will be the offensive and defensive sides respectively. The game is divided into two halves of 30 minutes each.
- The objective during playing field hockey is to put the ball into the opposite team’s goal. The main action comprises passing the ball from one player to another.
- The field hockey play field is laid out with one goal placed on each end. A striking circle is drawn in front of each goal, representing the penalty box. A goal is considered if the ball goes into the goal after a players stick is touched inside of the striking circle. Understanding how to play field hockey in advance of the game will make everything more clear.
- At the field hockey half line, a midfield circle is marked. The ball is placed here after every goal, and when half of the game begins. Players start the game by passing the ball to one of their teammates.
- There are different offensive positions in playing field hockey. At the offensive front line are the forwards, who do most of the attacking. Attack support is provided by the midfielders.
- The field hockey defensive positions comprise midfielders who also form the first line of defense. The primary defenders are the fullbacks, while the goalkeeper defends the goal.
- Get familiar with the various penalties that you may face when you play field hockey. This can save a lot of time and effort.