They are mainly known for their rich, succulent taste, but Plums have many other benefits for them as well. Plums are a small, purple fruit that pack a punch of vitamins and minerals in them. Many people enjoy plums for the taste alone and have no idea about the benefits that go along with them. So, here is a list of the top five health benefits of plums.
- Vitamin C: The first benefit we have to talk about when it comes to any fruit, but specifically plums, is the amount of vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant. This meaning, it helps protect the body against harmful bacteria and boosts the immune system. Vitamin C is great for overall health, especially if or when you may have a cold or the flu.
- Anti-Aging: Eating any fruit can help with aging. Plums are included in that. Plums can also reduce the amount of wrinkles in someone who is aging. The best time to eat the plums for these benefits is when they are extremely ripe. They should produce a sour taste in your mouth.
- Constipation: One of the best benefits of eating plums is that they help with constipation. Prunes, or dried plums, are more effective, but plums work well. The plum acts as an antacid of sorts and helps to regulate the digestive system. The plum can really soothe the stomach or any pain that may be associated with it.
- Fiber: Another health benefit of the plum is that the skin actually contains quite a bit of fiber. Many people take the skin off before eating it, but it is actually edible and tastes good. It adds a crispness to the fruit and an added health benefit as well.
- Inexpensive: For many people, buying fruit is usually done on a budget. Exotic fruit can be expensive. However, plums are actually one of the cheapest fruits available for consumers to buy and eat. One plum may be as low as 50 cents in some markets.