Do you have friends coming over for Sunday brunch and need the perfect popover recipe? If you love popovers but haven’t found the perfect recipe, you’re in luck. Making popovers at home is much simpler then you would think. Best of all, you don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients or any special baking skills. Keep reading for a quick and easy popover recipe that will impress your friends.
To make delicious popovers at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of white all purpose flour
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups of whole or two percent milk at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 popover pan
- 1 large and 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 mixing spoon
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 breadbasket and towel
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- Preheat Oven. Before you begin mixing your ingredients, you should preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Preheat the oven for about ten minutes.
- Grease your pan. Cut one tablespoon of butter off the stick of butter and reserve it for mixing into the popover mix later. Using the rest of your stick of butter, lightly grease your popover pan. When finished, greasing the pan, sprinkle some flour into each cup and shake out the excess.
- Mix Ingredients. In your large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and salt. In your medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and the tablespoon of melted butter you set aside earlier. Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together until blended. Do not mix and do not over fold the popover batter.
- Fill cups. Fill each of the greased and floured popover cups two-thirds full. Do not over fill the cups, or the batter will spill all over the inside of your oven.
- Bake. Bake the popovers in your preheated oven for fifteen minutes, then reduce the oven’s temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional fifteen to twenty minutes. When the popovers are finished baking they should have a brown crusty top and sound hollow when tapped with a spoon.
- Remove from oven and enjoy. Remove the popovers from the oven and immediately pierce each one to release the steam inside. Place the popovers in a breadbasket under a towel to keep them warm. Serve right away with lots of butter and strawberry jam.