Want to learn what the 5 best post-workout meals are? There are foods that are good to eat prior to a workout, and foods that are better to eat post-workout. Some foods are better than others after a workout, when it comes to replenishing lost nutrients, minerals, and carbs. Learn what the 5 best post-workout meals are so that after your next workout, you can choose the right foods.
After an endurance workout, you need to replace your stored energy that was lost during the workout. According to the American Dietetic Association, you should be eating about 1.5 carbohydrates per kg of body weight after a workout. You should do this within half an hour of finishing your workout. You should then eat every two hours over the next six hour period.
What you eat after a workout is just as important as what you eat prior to a workout. For instance, because you can tear muscle tissue during a workout, protein plays an important role in post-workout meals.
If you perform strenuous workouts, some examples of the best foods to eat after a workout are:
- Carbohydrates – You should consume a meal high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates help to refuel the body. For carbohydrates , consume 0.5 grams of per each pound of your body weight, after you workout. You should do this within 20-30 minutes after a strenuous workout such as a race. This should be followed by an additional 0.5 grams of carbohydrate per each pound of your body weight within the next 2 hours. An example would be 135 lbs x 0.5 = 65 grams of carbohydrates within 30 minutes and then again within 2 hours.
- Protein – A little bit of protein will also help to repair muscles — this is especially important after performing resistance training which uses a lot of muscle power. What is recommended for protein intake after a workout is approximately one gram for every 3-4 grams of carbohydrates you consume. One good source of protein is peanut butter. Peanut butter has 9 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons. Yogurt is another source of both carbohydrates and protein.
- Fiber – You should also get plenty of foods high in fiber. Foods that are high in fiber are oatmeal, rice, whole wheat pasta, and many fruits, such as apples.
- Milk – Milk is high in protein. Protein helps build muscles and is excellent for after a workout, as well as it is refreshing.
- Fluids – Replenishing your fluids is very important. You should replace the fluids you lost by consuming drinks such as athletic sports drinks and water.
You can create meals using the different foods and food groups. Getting the proper nutrition not only before a workout, but after, is very important.