Prepare For First Tandem Hang Gliding Experience
Signing up for hang gliding lessons was the first step, now you need to know how to prepare for first tandem hang gliding experience. A bit of preparation can make for a more relaxed jump and allow you to focus more on having fun.
To prepare for first hang gliding experience, you will need;
- Access to a computer for research
- Notepad and pen
- Research. If you know what to expect from your first tandem hang gliding experience then you can be better prepared. The United States Hang Gliding & Parasailing Association is a great resource for all types of information about hang gliding. Use them to find what others have experienced during their jumps. Tandem jumping is one of the safest types of jumps and it requires the least amount of training and expense.
- Check the details of your jump. Call your School or instructor and double check the time of your jump and ask if there is anything that you need to bring with you. Don’t forget your payment if you have not already paid in full. Make sure that you know the directions to get to the jump area.
- Allow for travel time. Leave at least fifteen minutes extra time to allow for traffic. Arrive with enough time to relax and prepare yourself for your first tandem hang gliding experience. Consider checking traffic on the main roads you are traveling before leaving the house.
- Go bed early the night before your first tandem hang gliding experience. Proper sleep will help both you and your body function better. Try to get at least eight hours of sleep the night before your jump. Limit alcohol consumption the night before your hang gliding experience as well.
- Consider food intake. Eat at least an hour before your first tandem hang gliding experience. Good choices for a light meal are foods such as salads, eggs, and protein shakes. Avoid heavy or greasy foods like pizza, bacon, or hamburgers. Eating heavy foods can cause indigestion or even make you vomit when jumping due to air pressure. Make sure you take water with you. Avoid drinking more than one cup of coffee or tea before your jump. Coffee and Tea are both diuretics and you really don’t want to have to pee while in the air.
- Dress appropriately. Wear neat fitting clothing and athletic shoes. Remove any dangling jewelry or any that could possibly get caught in the harness or parachute. Avoid loose clothing that can flap or ride up.
- Invite your friends to watch. Tell your friends about your first tandem hang gliding experience so they can join in and have fun with you. Give them a disposable camera to take a few pictures of you while you are jumping.
Don’t forget to have fun. Hang gliding is an incredible experience that you’ll want to do over and over again.