Prometrium side effects are not something to take lightly. Well, what exactly is Prometrium? Prometrium is commonly known as progesterone. Prometrium is used as hormone replacement therapy for women that have made it past their menopausal stage and have not had a hysterectomy. Prometrium is often used in conjunction with estrogen. This is because Prometrium helps to curb the side effects of added estrogen in a woman's system, like the thickening of the uterus and possible development of uterine cancer. But, just because Prometrium is the Robin to estrogen's Batman, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have its own adverse side effects as well. Check out these Prometrium side effects.
- The common side effects. Every drug, including Prometrium, has the ability to cause some sort side effects in patients. Women can develop symptoms from dry mouth to bloating, muscle pain, nausea and vomiting. If you thought these were bad, check out the severe stuff.
- Severe allergic reactions. Prometrium can cause some life threatening stuff as well. Some people have developed really terrible itchy rashes, vaginal bleeding, difficulty breathing and swelling of the face.
- Mood changes. Yes, Prometrium can actually alter one's mood. Some people have fought with severe depressive episodes while on this drug.
- The really bad stuff. If you thought the previous side effects were bad, try these on for size. None of them seem to have any common origin, yet all of these effects are quite dangerous. A woman taking Prometrium can experience "numbness of an arm or leg; pain or lumps in the breast; one-sided weakness; pounding in the chest; seizures or tremors; severe stomach pain; [and] speech problems." If that wasn't enough, you can add "stomach pain, swelling, or tenderness; sudden, severe chest pain or numbness" to the mix.
- Even more side effects. Sudden severe headache, chest pain, vomiting, dizziness, sharp pain in various places, and shortness of breath round out the symptoms. Of course, if you know anyone experiencing any of these symptoms, you need to call a doctor immediately. These side effects, if left unchecked, can lead to death.