Protein Foods List
Whether you are dieting for weight loss or health you should choose servings from a protein food list. Protein should be a regular part of a healthy daily diet because it helps the body repair cells. Children need daily servings of protein for proper development and growth. Protein is not just red meat it also includes fish, pork, foul, game, eggs, nuts and legumes.
- Protein from Meats. The best meats to eat are lean cuts of beef, ham, lamb, pork, or veal. Game meats include venison, rabbit, and bison. Organ meats include liver and giblets. Ground meats should be ground from lean meats to cut out unnecessary and unhealthy fats. A serving of meat is three ounces cooked.
- Protein from Poultry. Poultry is meat that comes from a variety of birds. The most common poultry is chicken followed by turkey, duck, and goose. Try making hamburgers from ground turkey cooked on the grill. A serving of poultry is three ounces cooked.
- Protein from Eggs. The most popular eggs come from chicken but duck eggs are also a great source of protein. A serving of eggs is one egg.
- Protein from Legumes. Legumes are a large variety of beans of and peas. The list of high protein legumes includes black beans, black eyed peas, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), falafel, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, soy beans, split peas, tofu, and white beans. Try making a pot of chili using ground turkey and kidney with tomatoes for a healthy dinner. A serving of legumes is ½ cup.
- Protein from Nuts and Seeds. Nuts and seeds are rich in vitamin E and are a good source of healthy fats. The best nuts and seeds to add to a diet are almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, peanut butter, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. Nuts can be eaten as a snack or added to salads or cereal. A serving of nuts and seeds is an ounce.
- Protein from Fish. Fish fall into three categories, finfish, shellfish, and canned fish. A serving of fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids essential for a healthy heart. The list of protein from finfish includes catfish, cod, flounder, haddock, halibut, herring, mackerel, pollock, porgy, salmon, sea bass, snapper, swordfish, trout, and tuna. The list of protein from shellfish includes clams, crab, crayfish, lobster, mussels, octopus, oysters, scallops, calamari (squid) and shrimp. The list of protein from canned fish includes anchovies, clams, tuna, and sardines. A serving of fish is three ounces cooked.