Pumpkin Pie Recipe From Scratch
There is nothing better than a homemade pie and with a pumpkin pie recipe from scratch you can create the perfect pumpkin pie everyone is sure to love. Although store-bought pumpkin pies are not bad, they lack that extra bit of something special that a homemade pie has. When you make your own pie at home, you can have complete control over what ingredients go into the pie. Making your own pumpkin pie from scratch takes a little more effort than simply buying a pre-made pie, but the hard work is definitely worth it in the end.
You will need the following ingredients to make a pumpkin pie from scratch:
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 package of pastry or pie crust
- 2 tbsp. of unsalted margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp. of molasses
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of whipped cream (optional)
- Make pumpkin puree. The puree from the pumpkin will be used inside of the pie's filling. To do this, take the medium-sized pumpkin and cut it down the middle. Remove all the fibers and seeds, and bake the pumpkin for about one hour. Scrape away the pulp from the pumpkin's skin and throw away the skin. Place pulp in a blender and blend it until the mixture is smooth in texture. For this recipe, you will only need 1-1/4 cups of pumpkin puree.
- Preheat oven. After you have made your pumpkin puree, preheat the oven to about 350 degrees. This will ensure that the crust is baked to absolute perfection.
- Slowly heat milk on stove. Pour the milk in a saucepan and place over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edges. Remove the milk immediately when it begins to bubble.
- Mix eggs and milk. Beat the eggs until they are frothy and bubbly in texture and slowly stir in the heated milk. Stir the mixture well.
- Add pumpkin puree, molasses, butter or margarine, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Make sure the butter or margarine is melted before mixing. Use a whisk to blend the mixture together and make sure all of the ingredients are evenly blended before moving on to the next step.
- Add the mixture to the pie crust. After adding the pie crust or pastry mixture to the pie pan, pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared crust and distribute it evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake until firm. Place your pumpkin pie in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the pie filling is firm. Once the pie is baked, let it cool for several minutes before moving on.
- Add whipped cream and enjoy! Once the pie is baked and ready to eat, add the desired amount of whipped cream (optional) and eat up! You and everyone else is sure to love this recipe for homemade pumpkin pie and it will taste even better knowing you made it yourself.