When you put your iPhone in DFU mode, you are essentially putting it into “recovery mode.” DFU mode is helpful if your iPhone is severely not acting right, won’t boot up, is unresponsive, or is doing something else that is extremely strange. If you’re going to put your iPhone in DFU mode, remember that it will probably erase all content on your phone once it is taken out of DFU mode. This is just a warning.
To put your iPhone in DFU mode, you will need:
- An iPhone
- A copy of iTunes
- A USB cable for the iPhone
- Launch iTunes on your computer. While launching iTunes, connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable. Wait for iTunes to completely launch before moving onto the next step or the process may not complete properly.
- When your phone has been connected, hold the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously with the Home button. You will need to count up to 10 seconds while holding these two buttons. After 10 seconds has passed, release your finger from the Sleep/Wake button while still holding the Home Screen button. Continue to hold the Home Screen button.
- Wait for iTunes to display a message concerning the phone. This message will display something along the lines of, “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.” If you see this message, you have successfully moved your iPhone into DFU mode. Your screen should be completely black on your phone at this point.
- Try again if the phone failed to move into DFU mode. Sometimes, it takes a few tries to get this process exactly right, but after 2 or 3 tries, it should work.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.