Ron Howard finally got it right this time when choosing the "Parenthood" TV show cast. The NBC TV series premiered on March 2nd after great anticipation. This is the second time Howard has attempted a small screen version of his much loved 1989 film of the same name.
The original movie, staring Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, and Dianne Wiest, was so well received that the producers turned it into a television series the following year. Even though the sitcom starred the talented Ed Begley, Jr. and introduced a young Leonardo DiCaprio, it lasted only twelve episodes.
So why is Howard trying again after all this time? It seems like he finally has the magic formula with the right group of actors—a who's who of TV history. Here's a run down of the new "Parenthood" TV show cast.
- Craig T. Nelson as Zeek Braverman Craig T. Nelson, who plays the family patriarch in the "Parenthood" TV show cast, may forever be remembered as Hayden Fox on "Coach" where he starred in the sitcom about the Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles football team. In addition to that series Nelson played leading TV roles on "The District" and "Call to Glory." And he is a tried and true movie actor, most notably playing the protective dad, and not-so-great real estate buyer, Steve Freeling in the "Poltergeist" films.
- Peter Krause as Adam Bravermen Peter Krause plays Craig T. Nelson's responsible child whose own son has been diagnosed with autism. The plotline opens the door wide for some touching moments and great acting by the TV veteran. Krause got his start in "Cybill," playing Cybill Shepherd's son-in-law, but it was his starring role as anchor Casey McCall on "Sports Night" that put him on the map. Sadly, the series ended after two seasons, but Peter was back the following year as funeral director Nate Fisher in "Six Feet Under." While it seemed like an eternity between Krause spottings, he returned only two years later in the short-lived "Dirty, Sexy Money," the new millennium's answer to "Dynasty." Now he's back once again, hopefully to stay for a while, as part of the impressive "Parenthood" TV show cast.
- Lauren Graham as Sarah Braverman Maura Tierney was supposed to play Sarah in the "Parenthood" TV show cast this season but early on, producers announced she was leaving to undergo treatments for breast cancer. The sad news was replaced with great joy for "Gilmore Girls" fans when Lauren Graham was named to the role. There have been little glimpses of Graham since her Lorelai Gilmore days, like “Evan Almighty” and “Flash of Genius,” but that was not enough. The part of the oldest Braverman daughter seems like it was created for her— a little wacky, slightly neurotic mom with a big heart.
- Monica Potter as Kristina Braverman Monica Potter spent most of her career playing the sweet and supportive girlfriend. She has been leading lady to Nicolas Cage in “Con Air,” Billy Crudup in “Without Limits,” and Robin Williams in “Patch Adams.” But she started to show a more comedic side on 2009’s all too-short-lived show “Trust Me,” starring Tom “Ed” Cavanagh and Eric “Will” McCormack. It was a disappointment when Potter’s turn as the cranky copywriter Sarah Krajicek-Hunter came to an end after just thirteen episodes. As "Parenthood's" suburban wife to Peter Krause's Adam, she has brought her true-life experience as a mother of three to the table for a realistic, sometimes gut wrenching performances.
- Dax Shepard as Crosby Braverman Dax Shepard has come a long way since doing Ashton Kutcher’s dirty work on the MTV hidden camera series “Punk’d.” Now he’s become a legitimate actor–appearing in over ten films since he left the celeb prank show in 2004. Some were good–like “Baby Mama.” Some were, well, not so good–like “Employee of the Month.” But regardless of the overall movie, Dax always delivered a solidly funny performance. Now he shows his chops back on the small screen by joining the "Parenthood" TV show cast. He is endearing and at times surprisingly poignant as the irresponsible Braverman son.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.