You can use a simple at-home design to learn how to quiet down dirt bike exhaust. You only need a few simple items that you may have on hand or can be found as a hardware store. This project can be completed in a couple of hours with only one person.
To quiet down dirt bike exhaust, you will need:
- Small Screwdriver
- Socket Wrenches
- Header Gasket Replacement (optional)
- 1 to 2 Foot Section of Exhaust Pipe the same size as your current pipe
- 1 to 2 Foot Section smaller in diameter to pipe above
- Copper Pipe
- Fiberglass Insulation or Steel Wool
- Welding Equipment & Supplies
- Remove Your Old Exhaust Pipe. First use a small screwdriver or small socket wrench to remove any fenders that may be in the way. Then use a socket wrench to remove the exhaust pipe from the header on the bike. Remove the mounting bolts and set aside. Check and replace (if needed) the header gasket to avoid exhaust leaks.
- Measure, Bend and Weld Old Pipe. Use your existing exhaust pipe to measure and weld together a new pipe. Use a copper pipe for this. Once you've used your old pipe to measure the same length and angles, weld together the pipe and attach to the header where the old pipe came from.
- Build a Muffler. A muffler is what's used to quiet the exhaust of a dirt bike. Grab the exhaust pipe you purchased and cut either a one or two foot section depending on the length you want it. Cut the smaller diameter pipe the same length. Wrap the smaller pipe in fiberglass insulation or steel wool. This helps deaden the noise even more. Weld the larger pipe over the wrapped smaller pipe.
- Attach to Existing Exhaust. Weld the new muffler to your existing exhaust. Check your welds to make sure you have no leaks. Start the motor to check to see if you appropriately worked through how to quiet down dirt bike exhaust on your dirt bike.
Tips: Always check your gaskets to ensure there are no cracks or excessive wearing. If there is, replace them before reattaching the exhaust to the header. Double check all of your welds before attaching the exhaust and muffler to ensure there are no leaks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)