Looking for quinoa recipes? Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a protein-rich grain favored by vegetarians, people on low-carb diets, and people who can't eat gluten (a protein found in wheat and related grains). Although quinoa can be hard to find except in whole foods specialty shops, it's worth seeking out for its distinctive nutty flavor and unique texture. You can easily substitute quinoa for rice in many of your favorite recipes.
1. Turkey Quinoa Burgers
To make the turkey quinoa burgers, you will need:
- one garlic clove
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- one cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- two tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- two green onions, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil
- six pita rounds
- lettuce, sliced seedless cucumber and red onion for garnish
- Blend garlic, tahini, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a blender. Refrigerate the tahini sauce until needed.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Combine quinoa and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender but slightly chewy. Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the quinoa with the ground turkey, spices, mint, green onions and salt. Form into 24 small patties.
- Cook the turkey and quinoa burgers on a heavy griddle with a light coating of vegetable oil for about four minutes on each side.
- Serve the burgers on pita rounds with lettuce, cucumber, red onion and tahini sauce.
2. Curried Quinoa
To make curried quinoa, you will need:
- one cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- one teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 green chile, minced
- one tablespoon yellow curry powder
- two cups water
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- salt to taste
- Rinse and the quinoa and drain well.
- Sautee the onion, ginger and chile in vegetable oil over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa, curry powder and water. Cook until the quinoa is almost tender.
- Stir in the peas and cook about five minutes, until the peas are heated through and the quinoa is tender. Add salt to taste.
3. Quinoa Dessert Pudding
To make quinoa dessert pudding, you will need:
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- one quart milk
- two large eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Combine with three cups milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender.
- Whisk eggs together with sugar, honey, cardamom and the remaining cup of milk. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the quinoa, stirring constantly so it doesn't curdle.
- Add the raisins and apricots. Cook until thickened, then let cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Serve chilled.