Quotes About Selfishness
The next time you think about eating the last cookie in the cookie jar, consider these quotes about selfishness. These quotes come from the minds and mouths of great men throughout history. Be thankful that they were unselfish enough to pass these words of wisdom onto the rest of us.
- “Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race.” Former British Prime Minister William E. Gladstone wasn’t subtle with this quote about selfishness. No amount of human ingenuity can erase our biggest downfall. Self-centered thoughts plague even the greatest of humans.
- “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” Oscar Wilde, famous poet and novelist, gives us a quote about selfishness that makes a distinction between freedom and self-centeredness. While a free individual may do as he pleases, a selfish individual imposes his ideals on others. Keep this in mind the next time you’re making dinner plans with a buddy.
- “There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit, and the rest of us.” Dr. Peter Lawrence, social scientist, writer and educator, reveals that everyone carries a self-centered personality. Some of us are willing to admit to our selfishness. The rest of us are holding back the truth. Too bad this quote about selfishness sheds light on that little secret.
- “Selfishness is that detestable vice which no one will forgive in others, and no one is without in himself.” Henry Ward Beecher, a former United States Congregational minister, gives us a quote about selfishness that reflects the words of Dr. Lawrence. Hypocrites are quick to point out the selfishness of others, but slow to recognize the vice within themselves. In the end, we’re all guilty of selfish thoughts and actions.
- “Manifest planes, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.” You may feel encouraged to pass up that final cookie in the metaphorical cookie jar after you've digested Lao-Tzu's quote about selfishness. Of course, you’re free to ignore this advice. Lao-Tzu is only an ancient Chinese philosopher from the school of Taoism. What does a guy like that know?