Quotes By Famous People
Think of quotes by famous people as a variety of flowers darting a verdure covered mountainside, while others carpet the valley below. If you see among these quotes by famous people one that appeals to you, pluck it, and delight in it.
- “Be the change you want to see in the world.”(Mahatma Gandhi). ~ The only person you can change is yourself, and by doing so, you may inspire a change for the better in someone else.
- “Nothing shows a man’s character more than what he laughs at." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe). ~ Laughter is indicative of joy or happiness. If someone can laugh at another’s pain, shame, or failure, there is something lacking in character development.
- “Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean.” (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) ~ Let the first positive action begin with self.
- “We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields, and I the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!” (Sir Winston Churchill). ~ Churchill’s encouraging "We Shall Fight Them on the Beaches" speech is an example of a national leader reading the heart of his countrymen, and supplying what is needed.
- “Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working.” (Pablo Picasso). ~ There is a proverb that says, For a web begun, God sends the thread. Work, and the inspiration will come.
- “The opposite of love is not hate, its indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, its indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, its indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, its indifference.” (Elie Wiesel). ~ Indifference is being neither hot nor cold, and is akin to saying, You don’t matter.
- “I’ve learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.” (Maya Angelou). ~ Making a living is like a black and white movie, but making a life is color in high definition. Big difference.
- “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” (Maya Angelou). ~ We live in a world where the end product is admired more than the process it took to make it.
- “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.” (Robert Frost). ~ Yes, but much more tumultuously.
- “The words of some men are thrown forcibly against you and adhere like burrs.” (Henry David Thoreau). ~ The power of words…they wound, cut, tear, heal, soothe, and bless. Care should be taken how they are used.
Here you have a bouquet of ten selected quotes by famous people. May it perfume your day.