Reasons For Abstinence
There are a variety of reasons for abstinence. Abstinence means you don't engage in sexual intercourse, and some people don't even tempt themselves by flirting with light sexual activity. If you haven't practiced abstinence before, it's not as hard as it seems. In some cases, it might even be necessary!
- Religious preferences. The most common reason for abstinence is due to religious preferences. Some religions preach that sex before marriage is a sin. How abstinence is handled in this situation varies. Some people feel that as long as sexual intercourse doesn't occur, they can engage in heavy petting, and oral or anal sex. Others' religious convictions do not permit them to have any kind of sexual contact. Kissing is okay as long as it doesn't lead to sex.
- Personal preferences. Your personal preferences might be one of the reasons for abstinence. It might be that you are fine with sex outside of marriage, but you wish to remain celibate for a certain period of time. Whatever the reasoning behind your desire for abstinence, personal preferences can play a big part in why you are celibate. Sometimes you might date a woman you like, but the desire to remain abstinent is stronger than having sex with her. You might be taking a break from sex. The main idea here is to not feel badly for your decision because there is not wrong reason for abstinence.
- Your mate's preferences. Another reason for abstinence is due to your mate's preferences. You might be ready to have sex but your partner isn't. She may feel that abstinence is right due to religious or personal convictions. If you dig the girl and want to maintain the relationship, respect her wishes. As time goes on, she could change her mind as the relationship deepens. On the other hand, you might have to wait until marriage to get some.
- Avoiding pregnancy and/or STDs. If you don't have sex, your partner won't get pregnant and you won't catch an STD. These are valid reasons for abstinence some people follow. Safe sex is just that-it's a bit safer because you take precautions. Abstinence guarantees that you will not have a baby nor will you catch a sexually transmitted disease.
- Disease or illness. For some people, the reason for abstinence is due to illness. It might be that you are recovering from cancer, surgery or other major illness or accident. You may not have the drive or stamina to have sex at the moment. Some people who are infected with STDs such as HIV/AIDs, Hepatitis, herpes or genital warts choose to remain celibate. They fear giving their STD to someone else and refuse to have sex.