Rebates For Energy Efficient Appliances
Find out how to get rebates for energy efficient appliances. Funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, tax rebates are available for many qualified Energy Star appliances. Millions have been handed out already; find out if you are eligible for a rebate before the funds for the program are gone.
To receive rebates for energy efficient appliances you will need:
- A state-specific rebate form
- Proof of recycling or haul away in some states
- IRS Form 5695
- Manufacturer's certification statement
- Product receipts
- Check Eligibility Rebates are available for energy efficient appliances purchased up until December 2011. Not all Energy Star products are qualified and every state participating has its own list of eligible products. Check the Energy Savers website to find out which appliances are included in your state. Some products that are involved in the program include dishwashers, water heaters, refrigerators and central air conditioners.
- Your State As of May 2011, many states have closed their rebate programs. Check the status and specifics of your state. You will find updated information on which appliances are still eligible, how much funding is remaining, what verification is required and where to download and send the rebate form.
- Tax Form For tax rebates for energy efficient appliances you will need to fill out IRS Form 5695. When filling out your 1040 form, declare energy tax credits on line 52.
- Mail In Mail in all necessary forms with your tax return. For energy efficient appliances purchased in 2011 you will need to send Form 5695 along with your 2011 taxes in 2012.
- Keep a Record Rebates for qualified appliances will be paid out in the remaining participating states until funds are depleted. Be sure to keep a record of everything for your own files. Save product receipts, copies of your tax forms and the manufacturer's certification statement.
The rebate program has saved more then 1.6 million consumers money on their Energy Star purchases. Remember, the rebate program will end soon, so make your Energy Star switch right away.