Before you learn about recipes for chili mango chutney, you should first know just what chutney is. The word "chutney" refers to a spicy preparation used as an accompaniment to the main dish. Most chutneys fall into two main categories: sweet or hot. Both varieties can contain chili but have different main ingredients. Traditionally, chutneys are used as a condiment with Indian or Asian foods and in the olden days, the only fast rule for making chutneys was that it never contained raisins as an ingredient. Thankfully, this rule has been broken and raisins are now included in many of the best chutney recipes.
Favorite Chili Mango Chutney Recipe
This particular chutney recipe is great hot or cold. It can be used as a spread in wraps, as a compliment to seafood or chicken or as a spicy addition to stir fry recipes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 6 mangoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion (1 cup) chopped
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. whole mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. chili pepper flakes (these are hot–alter to taste)
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer uncovered until thickened and has a syrupy consistency. This can take 45 minutes to one hour. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
- To process and store this tasty condiment, pour into clean, hot canning jars and process in a water bath for fifteen minutes.
Sweet & Hot Chili Mango Chutney
A second excellent and more exotic recipe for chili mango chutney is this one, which only lists the ingredients and leaves it up to you as to how much of each to use. You should be a little more familiar with chutney to make this recipe so that you will know what flavors you prefer.
- Raw mangoes
- Fenugreek seeds
- Fennel seeds
- Red chili powder (to taste)
- Brown sugar
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cut the raw mangoes into small pieces. In a pan add oil, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, chili powder (to taste) and mango pieces.
- Cover the pan and leave on low until mangos appear soft. Add sugar and salt to taste. Remove the cover and cook until sugar is absorbed and all the liquid is out of the mangoes, stirring frequently.
The next time mangoes are in season, consider picking up a few and trying these recipes out. It is also worth storing and giving as a gift to the chutney lover in your life.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.