Create the most decadent cake ever using this southern style recipe for red velvet cake. Imagine cutting into a cake to find it is smooth, textured, and bright red just like red velvet fabric. The beauty of red velvet cake is it can be made with yellow or chocolate or devil’s food cake.
To make red velvet cake, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 pound confectioner’s sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup melted marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease all three (eight inch round) cake pans with shortening and dust with flour.
- Measure the dry ingredients for red velvet cake. Measure and sift the salt and flour together in a seperate bowl.
- Mix red velvet cake ingredients. Place the softened butter in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and sugar to the butter and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl combine the cocoa and food coloring, mix well and add to the mixture. Slowly add the flour mixture and buttermilk (alternating ingredients as you add) and mix by hand with a wooden spoon. In a separate bowl combine the baking soda and vinegar and add to the mixture. Mix the red velvet cake mix until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Bake the red velvet cake. Pour the red velvet cake mix into the three greased and floured cake pans. Bake for twenty to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for fifteen minutes, remove the cake from the pans and cool the cakes completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the marshmallows. Place the marshmallows in a glass bowl and microwave on high for twenty seconds. Stir the marshmallows. Place in the microwave and melt on high for ten seconds and let stand for two minutes. Repeat if necessary.
- Cream the ingredients. Combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and mix together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the melted marshmallows and sugar together and mix until smooth. Fold in the nuts and shredded coconut.
- Frost the red velvet cake. Place the first layer of the red velvet cake on a plate and frost the top of the layer. Place the second layer on top of the first and repeat until all three layers are attached with frosting. Frost the sides and top of the cake.
Make your own one cup at a time by placing two tablespoons of cornstarch in the bottom of a measuring cup then filling the cup as usual the rest of the way with all purpose flour.
The cake must be completely cooled before frosting or the frosting will melt and run.