Recipe For Tortilla Soup
If you love Mexican food, then you need to know the recipe for tortilla soup. Not only is this soup really tasty, but it's filling too. For the most part, it is pretty healthy as well. That is to say that you are getting your veggies, including corn and tomato. Plus, it is packed with protein, since there is chicken in this recipe for tortilla soup. In fact, there is so much chicken in this recipe, that it is sometimes called chicken tortilla soup. This soup bursts with flavor because you include things like lime, cilantro and chili powder. It is hearty, satisfying and, most importantly, easy to make. This recipe for tortilla soup serves four people and is an authentic recipe that you can serve as an appetizer or snack in addition to a meal.
To make tortilla soup, you will need:
- Frying pan
- 14 1/2 oz diced or chopped tomatoes
- 15 1/4 oz can whole kernel sweet corn
- 14 oz can of chicken broth
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 lime
- Sprig of cilantro
- Sour cream (optional)
- One cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- Nacho chips (optional)
- Jalapenos (optional)
- Locate a frying pan. Turn the heat on medium and place in one teaspoon of chili powder and one tablespoon vegetable oil. Heat these two ingredients until they sizzle.
- Add one can of 14 1/2 oz diced or chopped tomatoes.
- Add one can of 15 1/4 oz drained and whole kernel sweet corn.
- Add one 14 oz can of chicken broth. You can use low sodium chicken broth if you want to reduce the salt.
- Add one cup of water.
- Simmer above ingredients for five minutes.
- Add 6 oz of cooked chicken breast cut in strips or cubed.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro to taste.
- Squirt the juice of one half lime on top.
This recipe for tortilla soup can be served with sour cream on top and shredded cheddar cheese. You can have nacho chips, tortilla shells or warm rolls to accompany the tortilla soup. Croutons can also be placed in the soup. If you want a more hearty tortilla soup, consider adding kidney beans. If you like your tortilla soup to be more on the spicy side, add cut up jalapenos.