Recipes For Spritzer Cookies
Looking for recipes for spritzer cookies like the ones you had growing up during the holidays? Spritzer cookies, or spritz cookies, come out of a cookie press or a pastry bag with an open star tip. Spritzer cookies are originally from Germany. Most cookie press models come with a variety of patterned discs to make all kinds of different shaped cookies. The recipe for spritzer cookies below makes nine dozen cookies.
To make spritzer cookies, you will need:
- Cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
- A small bowl
- A large bowl
- An electric mixer
- A spritz cookie press or maker, or a pastry bag with tips
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 sticks unsalted softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Sprinkles or colored sugar
- Prepare your ingredients to make spritzer cookies. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour and salt. Whisk the flour and salt together in a small bowl.
- Mix all remaining ingredients to make spritz cookies. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat the butter until creamy. Add both sugars slowly until the mixture is light and fluffy, which should take about three minutes. Add the extracts and egg. Bring the mixer to a low speed and gradually add the flour from the smaller bowl, mixing until fully blended.
- Press the spritz cookies on the cookie sheet. Following the manufacturer's information to operate the cookie press or load the pastry bag and press each cookie directly onto the cookie sheet. Press cookies at least 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Decorate the spritz cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar crystals or sprinkles for decoration.
- Bake the spritz cookies. Bake in the oven for seven to eight minutes, then slide the paper onto a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Remember, do not chill the cookie dough; keep it at room temperature. You can add food dye to the batter to make colorful cookies if you so desire. If you are using a press, pick a variety of different disks for different shaped cookies.