Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipes
Looking for red velvet cupcake recipes? Make a party or family dessert using simple red velvet cupcakes made from cake mix. Red velvet cake is moist, smooth and makes a festive dessert. Decorate the frosting for a birthday celebration, holiday dinner or Fourth of July picnic.
To make red velvet cupcakes, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 bottle (1 oz.) red food coloring
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 sixteen-ounce container of cream cheese frosting
- A muffin tin
- Cupcake papers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Separate the cupcake papers and place one paper in each baking cup of the muffin tin. This recipe will yield 24 cupcakes.
Add the devil’s food cake mix to a large bowl. Add the water, oil, eggs and the entire bottle of red food coloring. Mix with an electric mixer on a low speed until all dry ingredients are absorbed (about 30 seconds). For a richer cake and flavor, substitute 1/2 cup real creamery butter for the vegetable oil. Beat for two minutes on a medium speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as you mix.
Spoon the batter into the paper-lined muffin tin. A ladle works well for this step. Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Test the cupcakes for readiness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake at the highest point. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcake is done. Cool the cupcakes on a cooling rack.
- Frost the red velvet cupcakes when they are completely cool. Stir the canned frosting until if is fluffy and smooth before using. Decorate the frosting using a fine paint brush and a few drops of food coloring mixed with a teaspoon of water if desired. You can paint swirls on the frosting on each cupcake.
Remember to always use cupcake papers when making red velvet cupcakes. Do not overfill the cupcake paper with too much batter. Fill the cupcake papers 1/2 to 2/3 full. Wipe off any batter drips from the muffin pan with a damp paper towel to avoid burning.