Refelt A Pool Table
You can refelt a pool table without the high cost of a professional. With a few steps, materials, tools and maybe an extra hand your pool table will look like new again. If you're interested in changing the look of your game room, changing the color of the pool table felt is a perfect way to do that.
To refelt a pool table, you will need:
- Tape measure
- Scissors or razor blade
- New felt (needs to be at least 12" longer and wider than your table top)
- Staple gun & staples
- Pencil or Phillips head screwdriver
- Measure Your Table. Measure your pool table to see what size felt you need to purchase. Add twelve inches to both the length and the width and purchase that size felt.
- Remove Rails. Use a wrench or socket and ratchet to remove the bolts that hold the rails on. Place the rails in a safe place either out from the side they go on or mark them. The need to go back onto the same side they came off of.
- Pull Staples. Use the pliers or a staple remover to remove all the staples holding the old felt on. Make sure you get all of them. Discard your old felt.
- Cut New Felt. Lay the new felt on the table. Cut off the excess along all sides. The excess should measure the twelve inches extra you got. This is for covered the rails.
- Staple New Felt In. Start stapling the new felt into place. Start at the center of one end. Ensure you are pulling tight the entire way. If you have someone who can help, it will make the job a little easier.
- Corner Pockets. Cut three slits in the excess felt at the corner pockets. Wrap the pieces around the corner pockets and staple into place. Cut off any excess you have.
- Reattach Rails. If you have recovered the rails or if you are ready, it's time to reattach the rails. Use the pencil or a screwdriver to poke through the now covered bolt holes. Reattach on the exact sides they came from with the bolts you removed.
- Insert Pocket Liners. Simply reinsert your pocket liners and you're done. You should have an amazing new pool table look and all on your own.