Renew Florida Drivers License
If you live in Florida and have a driver's license then you may want to learn how to renew Florida drivers license because there are many changes that recently took place. In the past, you could simply go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, pay your fee, take a picture and leave. Now it is much more complicated due to new Homeland Security rules that have been put into effect. Here is how you would renew your Florida driver's license.
What you'll need:
- Birth certificate, passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship or consular report of birth abroad
- Social security number
- Two proofs of residential address
- Marriage license if applicable
- Gather your information. You will need the above items in order to renew your Florida driver's license. For the proofs of residential address, you can bring in a utilities bill or banking information, as an example. Anything official that has your name and address on it may be acceptable.
- Visit the DMV. You can renew your Florida driver's license online once for your convenience, but after that, you must visit the DMV. Be prepared to stay awhile because with the new requirements, the lines are much longer and the wait is much longer.
- Bring extra proof if needed. If you are a female and married with a name change you will need to bring your marriage license along with all other forms of identification. This is another new addition to renew a Florida driver's license that is needed with any name change. If you are a male or female and have changed your name for any reason you will have to bring in forms showing this proof such as a name change document.
Some of the requirements to renew Florida driver's license can be a hassle to locate such as a marriage certificate. It is a good idea to plan ahead for your trip to the DMV by going long before your driver's license is due. This is because if you need to locate any paperwork that you did not bring, you'll have time to do so before your license runs out. However, sometimes when you don't have all of the paperwork, when you go to renew Florida drivers license, they will grant you a temporary extension.