Rihanna songs are distinctive because Rihanna has such a recognizable voice. There may be more female famous singers out there, likely because ladies like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry tend to sing more shocking songs, but Rihanna has more hits than most of them because of her amazing talents.
- "Umbrella" featuring Jay-Z – It's been said that this Rihanna song was originally written and targeted at Britney Spears as sort of a comeback single, but Jive Records (her record label) passed on it. Instead, Rihanna made it the first single from her "Good Girl Gone Bad" album and it went to number one. Usually, songs about rain are sad. However, this is a happy tune about rain protection. So take that, bad weather!
- "Disturbia" – This was the third single from Rihanna's "Good Girl Gone Bad" album, after it had been re-released. Chris Brown wrote it. Of course, Rihanna and Brown would eventually have a falling out because, well, Brown beat her. However, it's one fine dance song. The true "disturbia" if you will, had not yet happened in this relationship.
- "Only Girl (In the World)" – This Rihanna song was the first single off of Rihanna's "Loud" album. The chourus asks, "I want you to love me/Like I'm the only girl in the world." One doubts that Rihanna has trouble finding others to love her. She's one of the most beautiful women in the world. In fact, some have speculated that Matt Kemp of the Dodgers went into a hitting slump while dating Rihanna. She might be the only girl in the world that can do that.
- "Rude Boy" – This Rihanna song from the "Rated R" album went to number one. It's also one of the few songs where you can truly hear Rihanna's Barbados accent. She sings with a strong accent, intentionally. It's also got a great groove. Rude boys used to refer to bad guys in reggae and ska songs. Rihanna, however, has completely recontextualized it. Cute girls tame rude boys, almost every time.
- "Rockstar 101" – This Rihanna song has a really dark feel to it. It's heightened by a great Slash guitar solo. The video is also fascinating, as it features Rihanna dressed like Slash with a distinctive black top hat. She may not play electric guitar or scream like a song by The Who, but Rihanna is still one unlikely rockstar.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.