Romeo and Juliet is a well-known play of love, bitterness, and tragedy, and this has raised much interest in Romeo and Juliet quotes about love. These quotes are perhaps the greatest in the play, and can even be used in today’s world of complicated relationships.
- Romeo: "Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes." In this line, Romeo laments about the duality of love – how it can feel both good and bad at the same time.
- Romeo: "One fairer than my love? The all-seeing sun never saw her match since first the world begun." There are several minor notes in this play which show Romeo's complex taste in women, and this is the first glimps of one. Here he is saying that the sun will never see a woman more beautiful than Rosalie, whom he compares to the moon.
- Mercutio: "You are a lover. Borrow Cupid's wings and soar with them above a common bound." Mecutio give Romeo quite a lot of advice and motivation in this play. Here he tells Romeo not to be burdened by his hopeless romantic ideals, but to embrace them.
- Juliet: "O, swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon. That monthly changes in her circled orb, lest that thy love prove likewise varia." Here, Juliet rebuffs Romeos attempts to liken her to the moon or his love to something which changes so often.
- Romeo: "Not mad, but bound more than a mad man is. Shut up in prison, kept without my food, whipped and tormented." Romeo whines quite frequently of his inability to truly be with the one he loves.
- Romeo: "Did my heart love 'till now? Forswear its sight. For I never saw true beauty 'til this night." Up until this point in the play, Romeo is smitten over Rosaline. The moment he lays eyes on Juliet, thoughts of hie love for Rosaline are completely forgotten.
- Juliet: "My only love, sprung from my only hate! Too early seen unknown, and known too late!" Juliet is heartsick when she discovers that her true love, Romeo, is a member of the faimly she is supposed to hate.
- Juliet: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet." Juliet decides very quickly in the play that she doesn't care what Romeo's last name is. She loves him for who he is, not for his name or stature.
- Romeo: "It is the East, and Juliet is the sun! Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon." Romeo now likens Juliet to the sun, and shuns the moon. This is an indirect way of shunning Rosaline in favor of Juliet.
- Juliet: "Love give me strength and strength will help me through." Without reading or knowing anything about the play, this quote from Juliet to her father can be appreciated. It speaks volumes to the power of love.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!