Rothbury Music Festival 2009 Highlights
If you missed out on the Rothbury Music Festival last year, or simply want to re-live the amazing moments, here is a list of highlights from the 2009 Rothbury Music Festival.
- The Grateful Dead. With the headlining Fourth of July performance, The Dead were the obvious showcase and draw for many Rothbury fans in 2009. Warren Haynes stood in for the late Jerry Garcia, and The Dead played two sets of their greatest hits. As the beginning notes of the song "U.S. Blues" were struck, the amazing holiday fireworks set off behind the main stage. The magnificent fireworks seemed to rain down on the crowd of more than 30,000 dancing fans, as The Dead jammed into the night.
- The String Cheese Incident. Prior to The Dead's performance the String Cheese Incident brought the circus to the main stage as the Friday night headliner. For Rothbury 2009, The String Cheese Incident reunited for their only performance that year, and they made sure it was a special one. As the String Cheese Incident got into their groove, enormous beach balls were launched into the crowd. Additional circus antics included hula hoopers elevated on poles dancing above the crowd. With their only performance of 2009, the String Cheese Incident made sure it was not a night to forget.
- Weather and atmosphere. Everyone knows that Rothbury has the best environment in the festival scene. Sherwood Forest is a festival-goer's perfect playground environment. The forest was adorned with decorated trees, hammocks, blown up architecture, a small stage with special performances, and bars. Being able to walk through the forest was almost worth the price of admission alone. Another added benefit was the weather for Rothbury 2009. It was perfect with little rain and cool weather. Additionally, the people at Rothbury 2009 were extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone was there to have fun, and you could feel that vibe in the air.
- Sound Tribe Sector 9. Sound Tribe Sector 9, commonly known simply as STS9, performed twice at Rothbury 2009, and both sets were phenomenal. The first set on July 3, was a full band performance at the Ranch arena. STS9 opened with "Circus" slowly building up the crowd with a happy feeling. STS9 then began to heat things up in the middle of their set, as glow sticks began to fly. STS9 ended their first performance with "Instantly," an energetic and obvious crowd pleaser. STS9's second performance was also well received. Songs included "Atlas," "What is Love?" and "Lo Swaga."
- Umphrey's Mcgee. Following The Dead's performance on July 4, Umphrey's Mcgee took the stage at the Ranch arena. Their progressive rock and jam band style filled the Ranch area with tons of energy. They sprinkled their set with new songs off of their album "Mantis," along with old songs such as "All in Time," "Hurt Bird Bath," "Gulf Stream," and "Nothing Too Fancy." Their performance was flawless, and reminded the crowd that Umphrey's Mcgee is one of the top acts in the jam band scene.
These are just five of the highlights from Rothbury 2009 to get your memory going. Take a look back through your pictures, videos, or others available on the official Rothbury Festival website to find your favorites.