Rules For Christian Dating
Are the rules for Christian dating different from those of secular society? Are the rules for Christian dating impossible to follow? Let’s look at some general rules for Christian dating, and then decide if they are protective guidelines for both man and woman, or if they are just pleasure killers.
- Only date someone you would want to marry. It may sound archaic, but you should date only a man or woman you consider a potential spouse. After all, is there any other reason for dating in the first place? If you want someone to pass the time with, then guys go out with your buddies, or ladies with your ‘best friends forever’ group.
- Be honest. Thinking about renting a Mercedes, or taking out a loan to take your date to the fanciest restaurant in town? Or, did you ask him to pick you up at the home of friend located in a better part of town? Remember, you will have to cover one lie with another, and no relationship can last if it is built on a foundation of falsehoods.
- Save physical intimacy for marriage. There is a biblical text that warns against stirring up sensual fires prematurely, “I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, until he please.” (Song of Solomon 8: 4.) Even hand holding, or a kiss in the right setting can stoke emotions held in check. If you find this rule hard to keep, then group dating is good safety guard.
- Attend church services together. The church should be a natural place for a Christian dating couple to attend together.
- Get to know his or her family. By observing family interactions, you will be able to learn a lot about the man or woman you are dating.
- Do not ignore warning signs. If a person displays uncontrolled outbursts of anger, overt jealousy or possessiveness, promptly end the relationship.
- Do not compromise spiritual beliefs to sustain a relationship. Compromise of religious beliefs or principles to maintain a relationship only leads to bitterness and resentment that will be manifested either internally or externally.
The rules for Christian dating are an outgrowth of your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. If the relationship is one of love, honor and respect, then these same characteristics will be manifested in your relationship with others. Though rules for Christian dating are not incumbent upon others of differing faiths, they are beneficial for everyone.