Rum Balls Recipe
This rum balls recipe is quick and easy and combines nuts, cookie crumbs and a variety of simple household ingredients to make a rich, no-bake cookie in a matter of minutes. Perfect for the holiday season or as a simple way to use up some leftover rum, these cookies lasts for quite a while when kept in the refrigerator and are the perfect treat to share with friends and family.
- 1 ½ cups of confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground allspice
- ½ cup of rum
- 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup
- 2 ½ cups of crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup of chopped nuts, preferably toasted walnuts or pecans. Toasting the nuts will release the oils and flavors within the nuts, enhancing the flavor of the overall cookie.
- Crush the vanilla wafers either by means of a food processor or by hand using a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, allspice and one cup of the sugar in a large bowl, setting aside ½ cup of the sugar for coating. For a richer cookie, try using unsweetened dark cocoa powder. The richness of the chocolate will be enhanced by the flavor of the rum used. Dark and spiced rums will give the dark chocolate a smooth, earthy taste while giving the overall cookie a spicy flavor. Coconut rum will give the cookie a nice coconut flavor as well as a wonderful aroma.
- Stir in the rum and corn syrup.
- Add the crushed wafers and nuts and mix well.
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes. The mixture will be crumbly and a bit dry, but this is all right. After removing the mixture from the refrigerator, use your hands to scoop out small one-inch balls and roll them into the remaining confectioner’s sugar.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and return the cookies to the refrigerator to sit overnight. This will allow the cookies to soak in the flavor of the rum while also allowing the rum to enrich the chocolate, allspice and vanilla flavoring in the wafers.