Rum Cake Recipe From Scratch
Baking a rum cake recipe from scratch is a great way to impress your guests during the holidays. Rum cake is a delicious dessert for Christmas or New Year's, with a nice, strong rum flavor. Many recipes call for boxed yellow cake mix, but why take shortcuts when making rum cake from scratch is so easy?
To make rum cake recipe from scratch, you will need:
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or lemon or zest
- Cream the butter in an electric mixer. When the butter is soft, add the sugar and beat for three minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Combine the milk and rum in a separate bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the milk mixture and flour mixture, alternating, until the batter is well mixed. Stir in the ginger or zest.
- Pour the rum cake batter into a greased and floured ten-inch tube pan. Bake at 350 for 65 minutes, or until a cake tester stuck into the cake comes out dry.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for ten minutes. Turn it out onto a cooling rack.
Tips : Rum cake is often glazed. For extra rum flavor and alcohol content in your rum cake recipe from scratch, combine 1/3 cup rum and 2 tablespoons sugar and pour it over the hot rum cake. If you'd rather your rum cake recipe from scratch be a little less strong, combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar and two tablespoons lemon or lime juice. Bring to a boil, then stir in two tablespoons rum and drizzle over the hot rum cake.