Thinking of the Caribbean brings one to thoughts of steel bands, clear water, and rum cocktails, but mix thoughts of St. Martin with thoughts of Russia, and you're on the path to mixing up a delicious rum vodka cocktail. Although these two cocktail ingredients aren't usually combined, mixing rum and vodka will make a serious drink, guaranteed to get you buzzing through the afternoon in short order.
To make a rum vodka cocktail, you will need:
- Two ounces of the best quality rum you can afford. Purchasing a really good rum will elevate you to the level of God with your friends, especially the next day when hangovers are light. Jamaican rum generally stands above the crowd. For a really special rum vodka cocktail, go with a dark rum such as Gosling's.
- Two ounces of the best vodka you can afford. Now, your wallet may be stretching but go for the best vodka you can. A good choice is always a triple distilled vodka which will give you the cleanest, freshest taste.
- One ounce of simple syrup. Simple syrup is made by mixing equal parts of sugar and water and heating them in a saucepan just until the sugar dissolves. Store left over simple syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- One half ounce of grenadine. For a sweeter drink, go up to one ounce on this ingredient.
- A highball glass
- Fresh ice
- A cherry for garnish
- Fill highball glass with ice. Using larger ice cubes will keep the ice from melting too quickly.
- Pour in the vodka and rum and swirl to mix. Add the simple syrup and grenadine and stir to mix ingredients.
- Garnish by laying a single cherry on the top of the drink.
A rum vodka cocktail is pretty potent so consider topping it with a bit of club seltzer to lighten the flavor up. As a nice side benefit, you'll be getting a bit of water into your body, too, which is always a good idea when drinking.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?