Runescape Smithing Guide
A Runescape smithing guide can be very in depth, as it ties in closely with one's mining skill. If you are simply looking for the quickest way to build up and make quality items with your smithing level, here is a quick-start guide.
Smithing begins with mining the ores you will need to make the metals. Bronze, blurite, gold, silver, and iron ores do not require coal, but steel, mithril, adamant, and rune bars do. These latter metals are the most prized in the game, as they create the strongest armor and weapons and can be sold for the most profit. This is why coal can be sold for rates as high as 160 gold each!
You will need:
- To begin, you will need to mine copper and tin ores to make bronze. The best place for free players to get these ores ins the South-East Varrock mine, which has 6 tin and 9 copper rocks. There is also a smelting furnace in Varrock to turn the ores into bars, and several anvils are located right next to the bank. The best tactic is to mine as many copper and tin ores as you can carry, take them to the furnace to smelt, and then drop them off at the bank. Do this until your smithing level is at a 4, at which point you can begin making bronze swords.
- Smith items and sell them at the local shops. You will be able to smith iron items at level 15.
- Iron can be mined all over Runescape, but the best place for free players is south of Falador. You will have to travel a bit further to smelt and deposit them, but there is an anvil in Falador to quickly make items. To save on time, mine as much iron as you can carry, deposit it in the Falador bank and go back to mining. Do this until you have 100 or so iron ore. Then go to Varrock to go between the furnace, anvils, and shop to make and sell your items.
- At level 30, you can finally begin making steel armor and weapons. These are valuable to mid-level players and can sometimes be sold for more than you would get in the shops. If you wish to try your hand at peddling, try selling your newly-made items at one of the town squares (such as Varrock.)
- Adamant items can be made at smithing level 70. They require ratio of 6:1 coal to admantite ore, so stocking up on coal at this point is crucial. The West Lumbridge Swamp and Al-Kharid mines are the most popular places for free players to mine adamantite and coal, but the best way is to stock up and run to the bank with six loads of coal, then one load of adamantite. Smith items and sell them in town squares for a decent chuck of money.
- Runeite ore is used to make the most valuable armor and weapons a free player can make. The only place a free player can get them is the lava maze in the wilderness. Bring plenty of survival items!
- Steel is the first metal that will require coal to make. Therefore, it helps to mine in an area that has coal and iron rocks, and the best place for that is North of Edgeville. Follow the same pattern as the mine area of Falador, as there is a bank in Edgeville, but the furnace is a paid members-only feature.
- The Chasm Mine in Al-Kharid is popular with both free and paid players for mining mithril and coal at the same time, with a bank and furnace in the nearby town. Varrock is also not very far away, so you can make the items and quickly sell them.