Salmonella symptoms differ depending on the classification of the illness. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are more than 2,000 varieties of salmonella bacteria. Yet, only a dozen of them cause illness in humans. Most salmonella infections are classified as gastroenteritis. A few of them result in something more serious–typhoid fever, a potentially fatal disease, especially in developing countries. Here are the most common salmonella symptoms to watch for.
Salmonella Symptoms In Gastroenteritis
- Diarrhea And Abdominal Pain. Severe diarrhea is the most common salmonella symptom in gastroenteritis. Salmonella bacteria live in the intestines, and people develop diarrhea and abdominal cramps within twelve to 72 hours of infection.
- Nausea And Vomiting. In addition to diarrhea, infected people often experience nausea and vomiting. These common salmonella symptoms contribute to the extreme dehydration many people experience.
- Headache And Body Aches. It is not uncommon for people with salmonella infections to experience headaches and body aches. Muscle pain, especially abdominal pain or discomfort, is another classic symptom.
- Fever And Chills. Salmonella illnesses usually produce fever, and infected people often feel sick and feverish. Their bodies may also feel cold, and they may experience chills.
- Bloody Stools. Another salmonella symptom is blood in the stool or feces. People with bloody stools should seek medical attention.
Salmonella Symptoms In Typhoid Fever
- Diarrhea Or Constipation. The incubation period for typhoid fever ranges from five to 21 days. Severe diarrhea is often the first sign of infection, but constipation is also possible.
- High Fever. High temperatures are typical with typhoid fever. While people with gastroenteritis may experience higher-than-normal temperatures, those with typhoid fever can have fever as high as 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chest Rash. Chest rash is another salmonella symptom associated with typhoid fever. Infected people have slightly raised, rose-colored spots on their chests.
- Intestinal Hemorrhage. Intestinal hemorrhage, or bleeding in the intestines, is another possible symptom. While this can be very serious, it is usually not fatal.
- Cough. Typhoid fever often produces a severe, dry cough and chest pain associated with the cough.
- Mental Confusion. Mental confusion is another symptom of typhoid fever. This includes memory problems, hallucinations, convulsions, and seizures.
- Slow Heartbeat. A slow heartbeat is another salmonella symptom associated with typhoid fever. People with this serious illness usually have an abnormally low heart rate.
- Enlarged Liver And Spleen. Typhoid fever also causes enlargement of the liver and spleen. In serious cases, the liver may malfunction.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.