Follow this simple salt dough recipe and make you own Christmas ornaments, creative jewelry, crafts with the kids or school projects. Salt dough is simple to make, easy to use and very versatile. Make fun pins, bowls, dishes or sculptures. Salt dough is baked at a low temperature for two hours so the dough can set. After baking and cooling the dough, it is time to decorate it with acrylic paint.
To make salt dough, you will need:
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine the salt dough ingredients. Mix the salt and flour together in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water and mix until soft dough is formed.
- Knead the salt dough. Dust a clean, flat surface or countertop with flour. Place the salt dough on the floured surface and knead the dough. To knead dough, place the palm of your hand on the lower half of the dough ball and push away from yourself. Roll the top of the dough down and push again with the palm of your hand. Turn the dough and repeat. To get the best elastic texture for salt dough, knead for about ten minutes.
- Roll the salt dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the salt dough on a floured surface. For most projects, the dough should be ¼-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes like stars, hearts, trees and more. Use a toothpick to make a hole in the top of the shape for hanging string. Move the shapes to a baking sheet with a flat spatula and bake for two hours. Remove from the oven, place on a wire cooling rack to cool. Decorate.
- Add scent to the salt dough with a few drops of peppermint extract, vanilla extract or any favorite extract.
- Decorate salt dough art pieces with acrylic paint, glitter or glitter paint, and coat with clear drying craft polymer to preserve.
- If the salt dough is sticky and too wet add more salt and flour to the mix at a ratio of one part salt to two parts flour and knead the dough until smooth.
- If the salt dough is dry and cracking, add water by spraying the dough with a spray bottle filled with water. By spraying water on the dough you will avoid adding too much water.
- Be accurate when measuring the ingredients for salt dough to avoid adding too much or not enough ingredients.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.