A Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle, or SCAR rifle, is a light-weight assault rifle that is designed by FN Herstal for the United States Special Operations Command. The SCAR rifle is one of the weapons of choice for the special forces. Additionally, there are two different types of rifles: the SCAR-L and the SCAR-H. Both designs completed low rate production testing in June, 2007.
- SCAR-L The SCAR-L is the lighter version of the two as it is chambered in the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge using STANAG magazines. The SCAR-L is available in long barrels for longer range battles, and shorter barrels for close counter confrontations.
- SCAR-H The SCAR-H is the heavier of the two, as it is desinged to fire the more powerful 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. LIke the SCAR-L, the SCAR-H comes with both long and short barrels. Additionally, the SCAR-H fires its rounds from a newly designed twenty-round magazine.
- 75th Ranger Regiment The 75th Ranger Regiment is a special operations light infantry unit that is headquartered in Fort Benning, Georgia. A battalion of the 75th regiment were the first to use the SCAR rifles when they were deployed into combat in 2009.
- Enhanced Grenade Launching Module (EGLM) The EGLM is a grenade launcher that is compatible with both the L and H designs. The EGLM features a twin action trigger and a swing out chamber, which prevents the chamber from needing to be recocked if the grenade does not fire, and lengthier granades are able to be used.
- Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) In 2008, FN SCAR designed a Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle (HAMR) that was one of the finalists for the Infantry Air Rifle competition. The United States Marines were looking for a lightweight automatic weapon, but in the end, the M27 was chosen over the SCAR version.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.