If you are interested in integrating alternative medicine and western medicine, you should consider these best schools for alternative medicine: the ten best. All of the schools below appear in the "US News and World Report: America's Best Colleges". Their "best" criteria includes acceptance rate, quality of faculty and quality of students and research funding. All schools integrate alternative and conventional practices. Here are the 10 best schools for alternative (or complementary) medicine.
- Duke Integrative Medicine. Duke Integrative Medicine uses what they call "the Wheel of Health" in practicing medicine. Duke's approach to integrative medicine focuses on areas of health and wellness, highlighting the interrelatedness of body, mind, spirit, and community. 3475 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27705
- University of California – Los Angeles. The UCLA School of Integrative Medicine offers movement-based alternative medicine. Students can learn about the benefits of yoga as a method of pain relief in conditions like arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome. UCLA has many collaborative centers, where students can learn about alternative medicine: the Center for East West Medicine, Mindfulness Awareness Research Center, and UCLArts and Healing. UCLA is located at 10833 Le Conte Avenue Los Angeles,CA 90095.
- Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. Feinburg advocates an interdisciplinary approach to medicine and this includes alternative medicine. Northwestern also offers dual degrees where students can earn a Master's of Public Health or a PhD in addition to their MD. Located at 420 E. Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611.
- Bastyr University. Bastyr has a strong research focus with faculty from around the world. Bastyr is widely known for its natural health sciences program which emphasizes integrating mind, body, spirit, and nature. Bastyr was one of the first universities to offer alternative medicine, and they offer degrees of Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Master of Science in Acupuncture or Acupuncture, and Oriental Medicine. Located at 14500 Juanita Drive NE Kenmore, WA 98028
- Mt. Sinai School of Medicine. Mt. Sinai ranks 18 out of 146 on the US and World News Best Osteopathic medical schools. Mt. Sinai focuses on the natural healing power of the body. While they still use prescription medication, they start with, and advocate, lifestyle changes first. Located at One Gustave L. Levy Place New York, NY 10029.
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor. University of Michigan includes an alternative, integrative primary care focus. University of Michigan teaches its students to focus on the whole patient and advocates spending more time with them and determining the treatment (whether alternative or conventional) based on each individual case. Students will learn both traditional western medicine and alternative therapies like acupuncture, holistic nutrition, energy healing and relaxation techniques. Located at 1301 Catherine Road Ann Arbor, MI 48109
- A.T. Still University of Health and Science. AT Still has a College of Osteopathic Medicine and a physical therapy school. AT Still advocates focusing on the entire patient and taking a "humanistic" and prevention-oriented philosophy. AT Still is the first College of Osteopathic Medicine. Located at 800 W. Jefferson Street Kirksville, MO 63501
Cornell University Medical College. Cornell offers Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Eastern Medicine and Healing Arts. There is also a College of Social Medicine which seeks to understand medicine through a social context. The Cornell University School of Medicine Complementary Medicine is located at 1300 York Avenue New York, NY 10065.
- Tufts University School of Medicine. Tufts University School of Medicine offers Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine. Additionally, Tufts developed its own alternative structure called ECAM (Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine). This curriculum is designed to teach students how to combine alternative medicine with western allopathic medicine. Tufts is located at 145 Harrison Avenue Boston, MA 02111
- University of Minnesota School of Medicine. University of Minnesota has a Center for Spirituality and Healing and a Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine. Examples of courses include "CME: Tellington Touch for Humans" and various courses in Acupuncture and Qi Gong. Students will be introduced to energy healing, acupuncture, the concepts of the Tao, yin-yang, microcosm, and macrocosm. Located at 321 Church Street Southeast Minneapolis, MN 55455.