These sciatica back exercises for men will help relieve the painful symptoms caused by sciatic nerve compression. The sciatic nerve supplies the muscles of the leg that causes significant lower back pain and leg pain when irritated or compressed. This occurs commonly in men due to strenuous activity. Sciatica back exercises consisting of stretching and strengthening of the back and leg muscles can help relieve the pain caused by sciatic nerve compression.
- Hamstring stretch (lying down). This exercise is good sciatica back and leg exercise performed lying down . Using a towel, support the thigh behind the knees and gently pull the towel to straighten the knee until a stretch at the back of the thigh is felt. Hold the position for 30 seconds, and then relax by allowing the leg to rest on the floor. Repeat for three repetitions. This exercise is gentle and imposes less stress on the lower back.
- Hamstring stretch (standing). Stand in front of a stool or elevated surface and place one leg on the stool while keeping the leg straight. Slowly bend forward on the hips with a straight back and hold the stretch for 30 seconds. Perform the hamstring stretch alternately on both legs for three repetitions.
- Pelvic tilt. This exercise strengthens the lower back muscles and the abdominals. While lying on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground, flatten your back to the floor as you exhale. Avoid pushing the feet on the floor to assist in the movement but instead contract the abdominals. Hold the position for ten seconds and repeat ten times.
- Hip bridging. This is a sciatica back exercise that strengthens specifically the group of muscles of the back, buttocks and the abdominals. While lying on the back, bend the knees at 90 degrees. Tighten the abdominals as you raise the buttocks from the floor. Keep shoulders and knees in a straight line. Hold the position for five seconds, then relax. Repeat ten times.
- Wall squat. This sciatica back exercise will strengthen the back and hip muscles and the quadriceps. With your back against the wall in a standing position and your heels about eighteen inches from the wall, tighten the abdominals and slowly slide down the wall until the knees bend at 90 degrees. Hold this position for five seconds and then relax by slowly sliding the back up the wall. Repeat the exercise ten times.
- Always begin stretching first. This is important in order to prepare the back and leg muscles prior to the strengthening sciatica back exercises It also prevents muscle soreness and strain.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.