Whether you have a propensity for scalding your hand on hot stove burners or you've spilled steaming coffee one too many times, you need a second degree burn treatment manual to keep on hand for home emergencies. This second degree burn treatment regimen will protect your skin from infection and further damage.
- Rinse with Cold Water: Much like a steak fresh out of the oven, a second degree burn stays hot enough to keep on cooking. Cool down the skin temperature – stat! Rinse cool water over your second degree burn until your skin stops hurting, which should take fifteen to 30 minutes. If you prefer, you can hold a cold compress to the burn or submerge your burn in a container of cold water.
- Sanitize: You know never to touch an open cut with dirty hands, and a second degree burn is no different. You must wash your hands and clean the burn with a gentle soap and cool water to prevent germs from penetrating the blister.
- Apply Antibiotic Ointment: Antibiotic ointments defend your second degree burn against further exposure to germs. Find these in the wound care aisle of any drugstore or grocery store or ask a pharmacist for a recommendation.
- Wrap it Up: If your burn blisters are closed, lucky you. You probably won't need a bandage. If the blister is open, you must bandage the second degree burn to prevent infection. Change the bandage every time it gets soggy or dirty.
- Do not get overzealous with the bandage for your second degree burn. You don't want to put pressure on the blister or cause swelling.
- Avoid ice on burns. It can damage delicate tissue and skin.
- Never use an antibiotic spray on your second degree burn. It could trap heat. Trapped heat means hotter skin, which means a worse burn and more pain.
- Always seek advice from a medical professional when you suspect a second degree burn. A medical professional will know the true severity of your burn.
A lot of people travel somewhere sunny for the holidays, and they tend to forget that the usual rules of proper skin car ...
Derek Hofmann, spa director at the Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, gives us some tips on what every guy shoul ...
Not all of us are blessed with bodies like David Beckham. Furthermore, many of us can’t find the time to fling our ...