Everyone should know sepsis signs and symptoms because it is a potentially life threatening condition. Sepsis is a medical condition whereby your immune system has a reaction to an infection, causing tissue injury far away from the primary infection. Sepsis can lead to organ malfunction and sometimes a fatal decline in blood pressure, known as sepsis shock. Here's are some of the most common sepsis signs and symptoms that you should know about. Be sure to seek immediate medical care if you believe you have sepsis.
- Fever. Fever above 101.3 F is one of the top sepsis signs and symptoms. A temperature below 95 F or low body temperature is another indication. Chills often accompany a fever. The patient may also shake.
- Decreased urine output. The decrease in urine output will be marked and significant.
- Mental confusion. People who develop sepsis sometimes have a sudden change in mental status. They may be confused or delirious.
- Low blood pressure. As sepsis progresses, people can develop low blood pressure. They may feel lightheaded.
- Abnormal heart rhythm. Another one of the signs and symptoms of sepsis include a heart rate that is faster than 90 beats per minute. The sepsis patient may experience a rapid heart beat.
- Skin rash or mottled skin. Having mottled areas of skin or a skin rash are another sign of sepsis. Another one of the signs and symptoms of sepsis is warm skin.
- Respiratory irregularity. People with sepsis may experience a higher respiratory rate exceeding twenty breaths per minute. They may also experience hyperventilation and may have trouble breathing.
- Decline in platelet count. People who have severe sepsis may show a decrease in their platelet count.
Most people that develop sepsis have been or are hospitalized. However, if you develop an infection or exhibit sepsis signs and symptoms after surgery, seek immediate medical care.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?