Ship Car Across Country
If you're moving, you may want to find out how to ship a car across country. Shipping a car can be a good alternative to putting extra miles on your car as well as spending your time driving. Moving can be enough of a hassle that shipping your car across the country can be one thing that makes the move easier. Find out about what's involved when you want to ship a car across country to make it easy.
To ship a car across country, you will need:
- Computer with internet access
- Exact moving dates
- Write down your car and moving information. To be prepared when talking with car shippers, write down your car's information such as make, model and year. They'll also need to know if there is anything special about your specific car that makes its size different than the standard make of that car. Know the dates of when you will be moving.
- Locate names of car shippers. These companies also are called auto transporters. Look online for several companies and get quotes from them to ship your car across country. Be sure to check different dates to see if a different date, perhaps earlier or later than your actual move date, to see if the estimate can be lower.
- Book the auto transport. When you find a price and time for your car to be shipped, book the move. Find out exactly what the car shipper expects you to do and when to have your car ready to be shipped.
- Prepare your car to be shipped. Some shippers ask that you have less than one quarter tank of gas in the car when you surrender it to them to ship, for example. Also remove your personal items from the car. Take out garage door openers and CDs and turn off any car alarms.
- Drop off the car or be available for them to pick it up. Be on time to drop off your car to the shipper or be available when they say they will pick up your car. Sign any paperwork and find out when your car will be delivered to you or available for you to pick up when you get across country.