Because shredded chicken is so easy to make and extremely multipurpose, there are a number of shredded chicken recipes. Shredded chicken makes great sloppy Joes, tantalizing chicken salad sandwiches, soft chicken tacos, or elegant easy to make casseroles. Try a rich shredded chicken divan casserole.
To make shredded chicken divan, you will need:
- 20 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, condensed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Shred the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in a large pot half full of water. Bring the chicken to a full boil over a high heat. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook the chicken for 90 minutes until it shreds easily with a fork. Place a chicken breast on a plate and shred with a fork. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- Thaw the frozen broccoli. Open one end of each frozen broccoli boxes, place the box in the microwave on high for two minutes. When thawed, drain the broccoli and add to the shredded chicken. Mix thoroughly.
- Create the sauce for shredded chicken divan. Combine soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lemon juice, and curry powder in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Add wine to taste and mix with a whisk until smooth and creamy. Add the sauce to the chicken mixture and mix well with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the Parmesan cheese with the break crumbs and melted butter. Place the shredded chicken divan in an 11 by 7 inch casserole dish. Pat the shredded chicken divan down evenly with a spatula and cover the top with the bread crumb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered at 350 degrees F. The shredded chicken divan should be bubbly around the edges after 40 minutes of baking. Serve immediately.
Tips and Warnings:
- Spray the casserole dish with non stick spray for easy serving and clean up.
- Overcooking the chicken will cause it to be dry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.