Signs And Symptoms Of Trichomoniasis
If you would like to know what the signs and symptoms of trichomoniasis are, then read on for details. Trichomoniasis is a common sexually transmitted disease (STD) in sexually active women, but can affect men also. It is a common, curable disease, but symptoms are often unnoticed and are more common in women. The signs and symptoms of trichomoniasis can be hard to spot if you don't know what to look for.
- Trichomoniasis is spread through genital contact during intercourse. Men usually contract trichomoniasis from infected women. An estimated five million new cases occur each year in women and men.
- The urethra (urine canal) is the most common location of trichomoniasis in men. Men who have trichomoniasis do not have any signs or symptoms. Some men may temporarily have mild discharge, an irritation inside the penis or slight burning after urination or ejaculation.
- A healthcare provider must perform a physical examination and laboratory tests to diagnose trichomoniasis. Laboratory tests are performed on a sample of urethral fluid from men to look for the disease-causing parasite to distinguish whether you have trichomoniasis. The parasite is harder to detect in men than in women.
Treatment and prevention methods for trichomoniasis are as follows:
- Trichomoniasis can usually be cured with prescription drugs. These drugs are taken orally in a single dose to treat symptoms. The symptoms of trichomoniasis in infected men may disappear within a few weeks without treatment.
- A man who has never had symptoms of trichomoniasis, or whose symptoms have stopped, can re-infect a female partner until he has been treated. Both partners should be treated at the same time to eliminate the parasite.
- Persons being treated for trichomoniasis should avoid sex until they complete treatment and have no more symptoms. Also remember to use condoms correctly every time you have sex. If you experience any signs or symptoms of trichomoniasis, avoid sexual contact until you are checked by your doctor.