The Simpsons Voice Actors
"The Simpsons" voice actors have enjoyed over twenty seasons of success. Truly household names, Homer, Bart and the rest of the cast have become legendary in terms of popularity, longevity and fan-base. Many of the cast of characters share the same talented voice actors. Dan Castellaneta, best known for his portrayal of Homer Simpson, voices no less than ten regularly appearing characters. The following is a list of ten popular "The Simpsons" characters and their voice actors, in no particular order:
- Homer Simpson. The primary character portrayed by Dan Castellaneta is Homer, the dim-witted and donut-obsessed patriarch of "The Simpsons" family. “D’oh!” became a regular exclamation for Americans watching the show in early seasons, and Homer never disappoints to create a crazy problem for the rest of the characters to solve.
- Marge Simpson. The gentle, sweet and loving wife and mother of "The Simpsons" family has Julie Kavner as her voice actor. Marge’s calm, laid-back ways help to ground Homer, making her the key element in many story outcomes.
- Bart Simpson. Smart-mouthed Bart Simpson, voiced by Nancy Cartwright, has become infamous with unruly kids and sarcastic insults. “Eat my Shorts” was a catch phrase which haunted all of the '90s, and according to the official "The Simpsons" website, the “Do the Bartman” theme for Bart which debuted early in the series was co-written by Michael Jackson.
- Lisa Simpson. Smart, clever Lisa Simpson has all the brain power and finesse her unruly brother, Bart, lacks. She is often the ‘voice of reason’ within the Simpsons household, usually breaking the fourth wall between the viewers and the characters. Yeardley Smith is her voice actor.
- Ned Flanders. The talented Harry Shearer is the voice actor for Ned Flanders, the family's religiously devout neighbor who is committed to saving the souls of his wacky, heathen neighbors.
- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon. Apu, the owner of the Kwik-E-Mart, has Hank Azaria as his voice actor, in addition to several other characters who did not make this list including Police Chief Wiggum, Dr. Nick Riviera and Comic Book Guy.
- Moe Szyslak. Another character with Hank Azaria as his voice actor is Moe, the curmudgeonly owner of Moe’s bar, the favorite hideaway for Homer and his pals. Grumpy and sarcastic, Moe carries a torch for Marge and doesn’t hesitate to box the ears of his patrons.
- Mr. Burns. The Scrooge-inspired devilish Mr. Burns is also portrayed by the voice actor Harry Shearer, providing a delicious contrast between the wholesome Ned Flanders and diabolical millionaire Mr. Burns.
- Waylon Smithers. The loyal sidekick and minion of the ruthless Mr. Burns shares the talent of voice actor Harry Shearer. With so many shared scenes between the two characters, the finesse of Harry Shearer as a voice actor is truly on display.
- Principal Skinner. This timeless nemesis of Bart Simpson is also voiced by Harry Shearer, who works with Nancy Cartwright to act-out all the angst and turmoil between Bart and his principal.