Turn that left over shredded chicken or ground beef into a tantalizing sandwich with the perfect Sloppy Joe sauce recipe. Sloppy Joe sauce is the perfect mixture of spices and tomatoes that gives a tangy flavor to beef, turkey, or chicken. Add Sloppy Joe sauce to cook meat and serve on a toasted bun for a quick easy crowd pleasing meal.
To make Sloppy Joe sauce, you will need:
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Garlic powder, to taste
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne or black pepper, to taste
- Make Sloppy Joe sauce. Combine all liquid ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the ground mustard and the onion powder and mix. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, and pepper slowly, mix, and taste. Add more a little at a time to get the desired taste. Mix well.
- Make Sloppy Joe sandwiches. Chop a small onion and place in a tablespoon of hot olive oil in a skillet. Sauté the onions until tender. Add the ground meat to the onion mixture. Add a teaspoon of salt (per pound of meat) to the skillet over the meat. Brown the meat thoroughly stirring frequently.
- Add the Sloppy Joe sauce. When the meat is thoroughly cooked, pour the Sloppy Joe sauce over the meat and lower the heat to a simmer. Mix well and simmer for five minutes. While the Sloppy Joe meat is simmering, lightly toast the buns. Fill the bottom half of each bun with a generous scoop of Sloppy Joe meat, add a slice of your favorite cheese, cover with the top half of the bun and serve.
- To spice up the Sloppy Joe sauce, add chile powder or hot taco sauce to taste.
- When adding Sloppy Joe sauce to the cooked meat, make sure the heat is low to avoid scorching the sauce and ruining the flavor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.