- How Do They Determine Social Security Retirement Benefit?
- How Much To Save For Retirement Calculator
- Investing In Your Future: 10 Tips
- How To Calculate A Future Annual Amount Needed For Retirement
- How To Apply For Social Security Disability Benefits
- How To Protect Seniors' Retirement Homes From Bankruptcy
- How To Apply For Social Security Retirement
Social Security Application Online
Filling out your Social Security application online takes some time, but the process is not difficult. Whether you are filing for retirement benefits, disability or for a lost card, the Social Security website is very user friendly. The website has specific instructions for the type of online application you need to complete and more information to read before you submit the form.
You will need:
- Social Security #
- Go to the Social Security website at www.ssa.gov/. Look on the homepage for the type of online application you need to fill out. This information is listed under the “Top Services” menu on the left side of the page. If you want to file for Social Security benefits but are unsure of whether you qualify, click “Learn what you can do online” midway down the menu. This opens a new page with “Do you qualify for benefits” listed third in the choices. Click that link for more information on how to determine if you qualify for Social Security.
- Select a Social Security online application. Once you are certain you qualify for benefits, click the appropriate link under the “Top Services menu.” For example, if you are applying for Social Security retirement benefits, after you click that menu link a new page opens and there is a button to click that says “Apply For Retirement.” Read the instructions thoroughly and then look on the right of the page and find the section “To Start the Application Process.” Click the correct boxes, read over the Privacy Act Statement, then click the “Apply for Benefits” button.
- Submit your application and follow up on the status. After filling out the application, make a note on your calendar to follow up on the status and also write down the application confirmation number. On the Social Security homepage under the “Top Services” menu there is a “Check the status of your application” link. When you want to check on your benefits application, click that link and then enter your Social Security number and your application confirmation numbers to check the status.
- Contact Social Security if your application does not go through. The number to call is number which is 1-800-772-1213. If you lose the number, to find it look at the bottom of the homepage and click “Contacts.” Click “Telephone Services” once the new page opens. Under “Automated Services” is the phone number. You can speak with a representative Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm. Advise the representative what probably you have with your application if you receive an error message. You can also ask the representative to check your application status if the transmission already went through but you are unable to get a status update online.
Posted on: Jul. 13, 2011