Songs about abuse run the gauntlet. Singers, songwriters, and performers have created songs about abuse that range from child abuse and domestic violence, to rape and drug abuse. Some songs are meant to heal, while others are meant to bring awareness. Still others romanticize abuse. The best songs about abuse inspire listeners to act, overcome, or heal from their own traumas.
- “Independence Day” by Martina McBride tackles the difficult subject of domestic violence. McBride belts this heart-wrenching tale with such passion, you almost wonder if this particular choice regarding songs about abuse might have some personal meaning. McBride performs many such songs, including “Concrete Angel,” a song about child abuse.
- “Janie’s Got a Gun” by Aerosmith takes an uncharacteristic detour from Aerosmith’s usual musical fair. It’s the band’s only song to touch on any sort of social issue. Interpreting the lyrics, you learn through innuendo that Janie’s father sexually assaulted her, prompting her to get a gun to exact her revenge. Few songs about abuse express the anger and resentment victims feel quite like this one.
- In “Alyssa Lies” by Jason Michael Carroll, country music fans see child abuse from a young girl’s perspective. Imagine your child coming home and telling you about the sweet girl portrayed in this song. When it comes to songs about abuse, this one brings tears to even the toughest eyes.
- “Baby Don’t Cry (Keep Your Head Up)” by Tupac shows the tender side of one of rap music’s original ganstas. When a young girl tells her tale of rape, he feels her pain and does what he can to look out for her. Even if rap music isn’t your thing, when it comes to songs about abuse, this one might change your mind.
- “Runaway Train” by Soul Asylum is one of those songs about abuse that can have different meanings for different people. The song was originally written about drug abuse. However, the lyrics apply to anyone dealing with the emotional pain left in the wake of abusive situations
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.