Song writers have written almost as many songs about friendship as they have written songs about love. These songs are great to use when it's hard to tell your friend how much he means to you. Include these songs on a mixed CD for your friend as a birthday gift. There's nothing wrong with telling someone they've been a good friend to you.
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel Written by Paul Simon, this classic song about friendship details a person's commitment to provide comfort to a friend in need. In 1971, this song won five Grammy Awards and was the biggest-selling song for Columbia Records. It was one of the few songs to make it to the top of both the US and UK charts simultaneously.
- "You've Got a Friend" by Carole King From King's "Tapestry" album in 1971, this friendship song says, "When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand, close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there." Nothing portrays friendship better than those lyrics. James Taylor recorded his own version of the song and it was released in the same year. Taylor was a bigger star than King and his version came out on a single, resulting in this song being a bigger hit for Taylor than for King.
- "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers Released on the album "Still Bill" in 1972, "Lean on Me" tells a story of give and take in a friendship and how one hands washes the other. "Lean on me when you're not strong and I'll be your friend / I'll help you carry on / For it won't be long 'til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on." This song was used as the theme song for the 1989 movie about principal Joe Clark in a movie of the same name. Club Nouveau recorded a dance version of the song in 1987.
- "I Turn to You" by Christina Aguilera Written by Diane Warren in 1996, this is one of the best songs about friendship. The R&B group All-4-One originally recorded this song for the film "Space Jam." Christina Aguilera recorded a version to include in her debut album, which was released in 2000. The lyrics telling someone that when the narrator is lost and troubled, her friends help her find her way out.
- "Umbrella" by Rihanna Written by The-Dream, Christopher Stewart, Jay-Z and Kuk Harrell, "Umbrella" was released in 2007 on Rihanna's third album, "Good Girl Gone Bad." The lyrics express that the singer "took an oath" to always be a friend and till "stick it out to the end." The lyrics go on to express that now that it's raining hard, we still have each other and "you can stand under my umbrella."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...