There are many songs about money. It seems that along with sex, death and breakups, it ranks as a generic song topic. Ten of the songs about money, though, are far and away better than the others. The songs below span decades, genres and points of view, but they are all fun songs to listen to.
- "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy. This is the most recent entry on the list and one of the few songs about money to delve into how each penny will be spent. The Gym Class Heroes' desire to be on the cover of the magazine with Oprah is hilarious.
- "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" by the Notorious B.I.G. This is the song that mainstream America mostly associates with the Notorious B.I.G., and for good reason. The hook is great, as are the lyrics. It spawned a catchphrase to go along with the song.
- "Money" by Pink Floyd. This is an absolute classic song about, what else, money. The opening cash register sound effects set the tone, and the lyrics are pure Pink Floyd. This is not just a great song about money, but a great song in its own right.
- "The Money Will Roll Right In" by Nirvana. This is a typically sarcastic Nirvana song, but it works. Hearing Kurt Cobain sing about getting rich is a bit odd, even if the tone is undeniably tongue in cheek. It's also somewhat painful to listen to, almost twenty years after the performer's suicide.
- "It's All About the Benjamins" by Puff Daddy. One of P. Diddy's earliest and biggest hits, it is quite memorable for the video. It is also one of the two songs on the list to be parodied by Weird Al, which should count for quite a bit. It quite likely brought the phrase "Benjamins" into the mainstream.
- "Gold Digger" by Kanye West. One of Kanye's biggest hits, it is about how money can change relationships. Or at least, how certain people react to others having money. It spawned much hilarity with the lyrical change to "broke, broke."
- "If I Had a Million Dollars" by Barenaked Ladies. BNL's ode to Kraft dinners and green dresses is timeless, and it is also a great crowd participation song.
- "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. Songs about money are usually for wish fulfillment, and this song is about the wishing. The song is probably most notable for its video, which featured some of the first computer generated animation in a music video. Take a listen to the lyrics, though, and you might find something familiar.
- "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band. This is one of the few songs about how to make money. Of course, it's also about how two kids robbed and killed a man for said money. It still works, though.
- "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. On its surface, this song is about how to make money by winning at cards. Of course, it's also about how to win at life. It combines cold financial life with some great rules to live by. That's pretty hard to beat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."